Students at all grade levels in the Wichita Public Schools now have more options in the breakfast and lunch lines. Nutrition Services utilizes the “offer” program to serve student meals. With “offer” students are allowed to choose the foods they want to put on their tray. At breakfast, students have an entrée choice along with a juice and/or fruit, with the option of milk. At lunch service, students have multiple choices of entrees as well as several selections of fruits and vegetables. This allows students to avoid the foods to which they have an allergy or intolerance. Milk is offered to students but is no longer required with meals.
With these options, a request for modification of school meals may not be necessary for some students. However if your student requires a modified texture for dysphagia, or has a disability involving food that affects major life activities, a meal modification form is required. For more information on what qualifies as a disability please refer to form 19-B.
To help students and parents of elementary students know what allergens are in our products, Nutrition Services has compiled a list showing which of our entrees contain the most common allergies. For more information, please see 14-15 Elementary Meals Allergen Information. Food labels of products used in meals and snacks provided by Nutrition Services are available for viewing by Nutrition Services at 973-2160.
Important information about completion of form 19-B for declaring disabilities, food allergies, or intolerances
· All requests for modified school meals or declaration of allergy must be submitted on form 19-B only. Other forms or physician pad notes will not be accepted.
· If your student has a form 19-B on file but no longer needs a modified meal plan, form 19-C must be completed and submitted. Nutrition Services cannot discontinue a meal plan without form 19-C.
· Please read and complete form carefully. Incomplete forms will not be accepted and will be returned.
· Please include detailed information regarding foods the student does and does not tolerate. Thresholds vary between individuals. Nutrition Services practices least restriction so student has as many choices as possible. For example, with lactose intolerance, state whether your student tolerates yogurt and/or cheese. Or with egg allergy, state whether student can tolerate eggs cooked into foods such as chicken nuggets or baked goods.
· Completion of form 19-B is not required each year if student remains at the school and the current disability, food allergy, or intolerance have not changed.
· Form 19-B is intended for medical conditions, and substitutions will not be made for personal preferences.
· Please send food for your child until you have received menu information from the school.