What are Magnet Schools?
Magnet schools are free public elementary and secondary schools of choice that are operated within the Wichita Public Schools. Magnet schools are based on the premise that all students do not learn in the same ways, so if there is a unifying theme or a different organizational structure for students of similar interest, those students will learn more in all areas.
Magnet schools have a focused theme and aligned courses in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), Fine and Performing Arts, Community Service, International Studies, Career Explorations and many others. Magnet schools are typically more “hands on – minds on” and use an approach to learning that is inquiry or performance/project based. They use state, district, & Common Core standards in all subject areas, however, they are taught within the overall theme of the magnet school.
Magnet Application Deadline
Magnet Application for next school year (2017-18) will be available October 3, 2016 with a December 16, 2016 deadline. Applications must be submitted by this date in order to be considered for the 2017-18 lottery.
2017-18 Magnet Timeline
* dates are subject to change
- Magnet applications available October 3, 2016
- Magnet application deadline December 16, 2016
- Northeast Magnet (NEM) selection January 13, 2017
- Northeast Magnet notifications mailed January 23, 2017 (updated)
- Northeast Magnet High School 9th grade pre-enrollment: February 21, 2017 from 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. at NEM
- Elementary & Middle Magnet selections March 6-10, 2017
- Elementary and Middle Magnet notifications mailed March 17, 2017
- Spring Break March 20-24, 2017
- Kindergarten Roundup/Orientation May 2, 2017