Alexander Hamilton School was built in 198-1919 and was completed in time for the fall opening of the school in September of 1919. Named for the first United States secretary of the treasury, Alexander Hamilton Intermediate School was dedicated on January 16,1920.
Many physical changes have been made to the building and grounds. In the beginning, the north half of the city block bounded by Zimmerly, Boston, Market, and Broadway was purchased for the school. As property became available, more ground was acquired to create the present campus, including 3.65 acres.