HEIGHTS LEARNING CENTER
Is The Learning Center the Right Fit?
The Learning Center Program:
- Will provide a variety of learning experiences including: computer assisted instruction, written matierials, and independent research.
- Allows students to move through course work at their own pace.
- Allows for flexible days and times to make it possible for students to build their own schedule.
- Will require commitment, persistence, and self-direction.
- Does not provide Special Education support or services.
What Is It?
- The Learning Center Program is available to assist individuals who are currently enrolled in high school, and need to repeat a course they previously failed to pass.
- The Learning Center Program is a performance-based program that allows students to work at their own pace. All courses are aligned with the curriculum standards of Wichita Public Schools.
- All courses are offered for make-up credit only. Students may enroll in the Learning Center follwoing the semester in which the course credit was to be earned. Second smester seniors should see their counselors for enrollment guidelines.
- Students may only enroll in and work on one course at a time in the Learning Center.
- All unit tests must be completed in the Learning Center, during normal Learning Center hours in the testing area.
- Before any unit test is unlocked, all written work for that unit must be submitted for grading.
- Students may listen to music on their portable devices using headphones, but may not use the internet to listen to music or watch videos. Students who are frequently browsing on their phones will be asked to put them away.
- Transportation is the responsibility of each student.
How Much Does It Cost?:
- For each 0.5 credit there is a $90 fee.
- Students must be finished by the end of summer school/extended school in the same year the course was begun. Course work will not be carried over to the next school year.
- Students are not allowed to repeat a failed class during the same semester that the failure occured, unless approved by the principal.
How Do I Enroll?:
- Speak with your counselor to make sure the Learning Center is the right fit for you.
- Complete a Learning Center enrollment form and pay tuition fees.
- Turn all forms into your counselor for the signature of the school principal.
- When facilitators receive the signed forms from the office, students may begin attending the Learning Center.
- Language Arts
- English 1
- English 2
- English 3
- English 4
- Algebra 1
- Algebra 2
- Algebra 3
- Physical Science
- Biology 1
- Social Studies
- World History
- U.S. History 1
- U.S. History 2
Hours of Operation:
- Monday - Thursday 3:45PM-5:45PM
- Room A155
Instructors: Summer 2020 Hours