Robinson Academic League Wants YOU!
Get the FAQs!
What is NAL?
National Academic League (NAL for short) is a scholastic competition for middle school students. Students answer questions on a variety of topics, including literature, grammar, spelling, mathematics, science, government, and history.
There are four quarters in each match:
- The First Quarter is the "Round-a-Bout” round. Teams answer groups of three questions round-robin style. The questions are asked to each member of the team in turn. Correct answers are worth two points. If the team answers incorrectly, the question goes to the other team for a one-point steal and possession of a three-question sequence.
- The Second Quarter is a collaborative round where teams of five students work together to solve multi-faceted questions in one minute. Up to 25 questions are posed to both teams. Correct answers are worth three points.
- The Third Quarter is the problem-solving quarter. Each team is presented with a real-life problem and then collaboratively creates a persuasive presentation offering their solution to the problem.
- The Fourth Quarter is called “one-on-one”. It’s a fast-paced round where teams answer questions on a variety of topics and the lead may change several times. Each question is worth two points, and incorrect answers result in losing a point. If both teams fail to answer the question, it goes to a "free for all" and any team member may buzz in.
When is NAL?
Robinson’s team will start practice Monday, September 17, and we will meet almost every Monday and Wednesday (that school is in session) from then until the end of the season in February.
Practices will be from 3:20-5:00. After practice, students must be picked up or walk home at 5:00.
Games against other middle schools will begin on Thursday, November 1, and will be on Thursdays after that. The season runs November 8, 2018, through January 31, 2019. Games start at 4:00pm and go until about 5:15pm.
After home games, all team members are asked to help clean up and re-set the stage. We should be done by about 5:30. On days when our games are away, we should be back to school by about 5:30 as well. (Parents are also welcome to pick up their student(s) from the other school when our games are away.)
Who can be on the NAL team?
Any 6th, 7th, or 8th grade Robinson student!
Where can I find out more information about NAL?
- Go to the Robinson NAL homepage at: Robinson NAL (https://www.usd259.org/robinson/nal)
- This page has updates during the season, study aids, required forms, and our up-to-day calendar of practices and games. Please check it frequently for new information.
- Visit the NAL Homepage at http://www.nationalacademicleague.org/
- See Mrs. Sims in room 211.
Where do I sign up?
Sign-up for tryouts will begin September 1. Check back on this page for more information soon!
If you have not already done so, students will also need to complete and return the After-School Program (ASP) paperwork. This can be turned in to the office or to Mrs. Sims.