"As I've built my career in this district, I have been exposed to volumes of information. Moving from elementary leadership to the top district leadership role, I know there is a whole new spectrum of plans, data and opportunities with which I must quickly become familiar. This will be a year of tremendous LEARNING."
We Listened, We Learned
Superintendent Dr. Alicia Thompson held 20 stakeholder meetings of students, staff, parents, community members and business leaders on what the district did well, our challenges and how we can change culture through communication.
You told us the Wichita Public Schools should:
- Challenge all learners to succeed
- Focus on college and career readiness
- Support the whole child
- Invest in staff
- Engage families and the community as essential partners in education
- Communicate to build trust, and
- Align resources and infrastructure to support student success.
Other Opportunities to Learn
- Analyze and evaluate all aspects of the district’s academic and curriculum work, including data from core areas of math and literacy instruction; special education and English as a Second Language (ESOL); state assessments; internal formative and summative assessments; professional learning; achievement gap; graduation rate; ACT and SAT performance; school climate and behavior survey data; and student and staff discipline trends.
- Develop core knowledge of district financial and business operations, including – annual budget and state reporting requirements; budget reductions implemented over the last 3-5 years; short- and long-term anticipated budget requests including capital outlay; enrollment projects and trends that may impact district operations; annual audit report; and long-range financial projections.
- Become familiar with district plans and operations in the areas of technology; safety and crisis plans at the district and school levels; magnet schools and other programs that offer choice to students and families; communications and marketing; customer service; facility master plan; capital improvement; transportation; district organization structure; enrollment projection and planning.
Last Modified on February 12, 2018