Awards and Recognition Programs
Celebrating excellence throughout the Wichita Public Schools
The Wichita Public Schools is recognized as a leader in urban education. Much of the district's on-going success is attributed to the collaborative efforts of employees, volunteers, school partners and our students. We are proud to honor them throughout the year by virtue of several recognition programs summarized below. Additional detail about each program is available through the links provided below or on the sidebar to the left.
- 99% Award - Middle-and high-school students are recognized for doing the right things.
- Distinguished Classroom Teacher Award - This annual award program honors teachers in seven categories. Two of the award-winning teachers are selected to represent the district for the prestigious Kansas Teacher of the Year Award.
- Excellence in Public Service Award - Bestowed annually to one employee of the Wichita Public Schools, the City of Wichita and Sedgwick County, this award is underwritten by the DeVore Foundation and recognizes public service employees who are dedicated to their jobs and to community service.
- Good Apple Award - This award is presented bi-annually to employees, volunteers and partners who support the mission of the district. Nominations for the award can be submitted by parents, teachers, students or virtually anyone! Each school or support center selects the award recipients.
- Partners in Education - The P.I.E. award is given quarterly to an employee who exhibits excellent customer service. It is sponsored by Midwest Single Source in partnership with the WPS Parent and Community Support Network.
- Retirement and Longevity Awards - Each year the Wichita Public Schools proudly salutes all of its retiring employees and those who will continue to serve the district after 10- 20-, 30- and 40-years.
- Good News Honorees - The Board of Education recognizes exemplary students, employees and partners during the "Good News" segment of their regular meetings. These great success stories are all noted as part of the Board's meeting agenda and published reports.
- Golden Apple - KAKE-TV and its sponsors have recognized Wichita-area educators since 2003 through the Golden Apple Award. For more information and to complete the nomination online, visit the KAKE-TV website.
- Excellent Teacher Award with the Thunder - The Wichita Thunder and Wichita Furniture Mattress have partnered up to recognize area teachers at all Thunder home games this season. To nominate a teacher go to: https://www.wichitathunder.com/wichita-furniture-mattress-excellent-teacher.html.