On February 20th WSU Tech will be hosting our National Signing Day Event where WSU Tech will issue over $100,000 of scholarships to the first 200 high school seniors that RSVP for the event! These scholarships are for students interested in pursuing career and technical education. If you have a senior interested in pursuing a degree in aviation, healthcare, manufacturing, design, business or police science, register for the event TODAY at www.wsutech.edu/signingday. RSVP to the event is required!
If you or your students have any questions about this scholarship, please see Mr. Ghitis as soon as possible. Additional requirements are below
- Be a graduating high school senior for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Be one of the first 200 students to register for the event here.
- To receive your scholarship, you MUST attend the CTE Signing Day event on Feb. 20, 2020.
- You MUST attend the Enrollment Day on Friday, April 24, 2020.
- You must be enrolled full-time at WSU Tech for the Fall 2020 semester.
The Wichita Park & Recreation is hosting their first job fair at Century II on February 27, 2020! This is an excellent opportunity for those seeking part-time jobs and/or full-time employment in the park maintenance, forestry, recreation, sports management, and hospitality and event industry. During this four hour event there will be over 24 supervisors looking for talent to add to their organization.
During the job fair they will not only have supervisors on sight looking for potential applicants, but they we will also have a computer lab for individuals to use to complete their applications. Click here to view the flyer for more information
Attention all students!
Are you interested in earning community service hours this Spring Break? If so, consider partaking in the two-day Alternative Spring Break (ASB) experience. ASB is a volunteering opportunity for students who are looking for a way to make a difference in the world while they are on a break from school. Through fun activities, students with a service mindset can create lasting change for communities around the world.
Through this free two-day leadership-building workshop, students can earn community service hours and develop new friendships. What makes Alternative Spring Break different is that it is completely free for students to participate, and there are over 30 humanitarian causes that can be supported! Also, free lunch will be provided. The dates are as follows:
Mon, Mar 16, 2020, 9:00 AM –
Tue, Mar 17, 2020, 12:00 PM CDT
If interested, click here to register!
Kansas State Univeristy presents their annual IDFS Student Symposium. This is a professional opportunity for prospective and current students to network with alumni and connect with professionals working in the fashion industry and interior design profession. This year, the symposium theme is "Our Legacy – Empowerment," The symposium will open with the Showcase of Excellence on April 16th and continues on April 17th with skill enhancing activities and a networking luncheon.
Students, do you have any fashion design project that you want to showcase? If so, submit your project for the Showcase of Excellence, a juried fashion show and gallery exhibit.? This event provides current and future students the opportunity to show their projects to the community and industry professionals.
Project Submission Deadline: Monday, March 30, 2020 by 4:00 p.m.
For more information about the Showcase, how to purchase tickets, and how to submit projects, click here.
All students entering grades 10-12 are invited to participate in Bethel College's Annual Science Institute on the Bethel College campus on May 31 to June 5, 2020. The institute offers opportunities to participate in research investigations in several science-related fields, including biology, psychology, chemistry, engineering, and mathematics. You will be able to study fascinating and challenging topics that high school courses typically do not cover!
Examples of the research groups include the following:
"Probability: Know Your Odds"
"Personality, Digit Ratio, and Risk-Taking"
"Engineering Design — Step by Step"
"Understanding and Measuring Attitudes"
"Understanding and Modeling Climate Change"
The application is now open for the 21st annual Summer Science Institute. Students entering grades 10-12 may apply. Some additional information:
• The camp is only $50. Each student is sponsored through a $500 donation from a Bethel math or science graduate.
• The cost includes lodging on campus, meals in Bethel's cafeteria, a T-shirt and 1 hour of college credit.
• Students select their research groups based on their own interests.
The application deadline is April 1, so sign up today! Click here to register.
The University of Kansas, Haskell Indian Nations University, and Donnelly College, the most diverse college in the Midwest, partner annually to showcase exciting and dynamic research and artistic projects undertaken by our faculty and students. You're invited to join us at the Global Opportunities Expo on March 30, 2020 from 8:30-4:30 p.m. at the Kansas Burge Union!
The Expo, now in its 3rd year, hopes to unite everyone in celebrating Kansas’ cultivation of an inclusive and collaborative global community.
This year there will be a wide variety of internationally-focused student groups, academic units, and programs that will exhibit opportunities to become an active global citizen. Alumni, students and world renowned faculty from our schools will be featured as part of:
Two keynote presentations;
A student panel about global experiences;
Red Hot Research presentations; and
Spoken word and dance performances by students/student groups.
Students from the University of Kansas, Donnelly College and Haskell Indian Nations University will also represent as many as 30 international and indigenous nations with fun, interactive activities at the new “Festival of Nations” held at the Expo.
The Expo provides a free meal to every attendee.
This event is open to all students. Register by Monday, March 23, 2020 to guarantee your spot. For more information and to register, see the link below.
New Scholarships Available for Seniors!
Over the last couple of days, the College and Career Center has received several new scholarships and scholarship applications for seniors on the CCC Scholarship List! Examples of scholarships are below:
1. NEW-Black and Gold Foundation Scholarship-Graduating high school seniors attending school in the Wichita, Kansas area are eligible to apply. Scholarships will be awarded to academically qualified students who have designated their college choice and course of study and has a proven need for assistance. Scholarship is open to all students!
Due: Feb 14th
Award: $500. Go to the website below or click on the link to apply:
2. Dottie Bishop Head Start Kid Scholarship-Did you graduate from a Head Start program? If so apply for this scholarship. Visit the CCC for an application.
Due: Feb 14th
3. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Scholarships-Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority (Wichita Chapter) is offering scholarships to Class of 2020 graduates including those majoring in education or fine arts or those who are future leaders. Visit the CCC for an application. Scholarship is open to all students!
Due: February 28, 2020
4. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority-All students who have at least a 2.5 GPA and are planning to enroll in a college/university are eligible to apply for this scholarship. This scholarship requires an essay on the following topic: “Share your insights around the growing concerns of mental health and how can you help to increase awareness within your community?” Visit the CCC for an application.
Due: March 14, 2020
Remember, check out the CCC Scholarship List for the latest scholarship information! You can find the list at this website: https://www.usd259.org/Page/15041
As always, please see Mr. Ghitis if you would like help editing scholarship essays or if you have any general scholarship questions.
Students 16 and older, are you interested in obtaining a summer internship at Sprit, Textron, Cox Machine, or many other manufacturing plants? If so, attend YEP's Manufactuing Interview Day on March 28th from 1-5:00PM.
For more info on how to register for YEP, click here to download the flyer or see Mr. Ghitis.
After speaking with various employers/organizations at the Heights Career Fair, the CCC has learned of numerous job opportunities made available for high school graduates! See below to access job flyers for the various members around the community:
Attention All Heights Parents:
Heights students will now have access to a FREE ACT Prep Class through Edgenuity, USD 259’s provider of K-12 online education. All students grades 9-12 will have access to this free course through their Single-Sign On-Rapid ID portal. In order to use this class, your student will need to meet with the College and Career Coordinator, Mr. Ghitis, to be enrolled in this online class. This class is not for a grade and cannot be used to earn credit. Tell your student to meet with Mr. Ghitis to start preparing for the ACT today!
Students, are you interested in FREE ACT prep? If so, check out Sylvan Learning Center! Sylvan Learning Center offeres the following free resources to students:
FREE Practice ACT.
FREE Presentation in ACT test-taking tips.
FREE Advanced Reading Skills Diagnostic assessment.
- This assessment is a great diagnostic tool to help students who have difficulty finishing the ACT on time.
FREE Diagnostic days at the center.
- Sylvan has regularly scheduled diagnostic assessments at the center that can help students understand their scores and find out the root causes and how to better prepare for the ACT.
All of these can be done with a group of friends or by yourself. To schedule an appointment, call
Sylvan Learning Center
8343 E 32nd St N #125A, Wichita, KS 67226