You Can Go to College!

  • If you are a non US citizen or have DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) status, you can certainly go to college! The College and Career center is here to help you apply for college despite your citizenship status. Under current Kansas House Bill 2145, high school students who graduate and complete at least 3 years at a Kansas high school are eligible to pay in-state tuition at public community colleges or state universities in Kansas. In order to pay in-state tuition, students will often need to complete an affidavit form and submit it to the college they plan on attending. Undocumented students who don't qualify for HB 2145 must pay international-student tuition rates.



    When applying to college as an undocumented student, the college's application may direct you to their international admissions application. This is an error, as most colleges will want you to complete the general/domestic admissions application. Contact the college's admission office for assistance or visit the College Career Center if you find the application process confusing or tricky.



    Undocumented/DACA students are not eligible for federal student aid; therefore, they generally do not complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To be eligible for federal student aid, you must be a US citizen, a permanent resident, or have an I-551C visa or an arrival-departure record (I-94). Because you are not eligible for federal aid, it is incredibly important to apply for scholarships to help fund your education. Below is a list of scholarship websites specifically for DACA/undocumented students. Apply for as many of these as you can. Also, remember that the CCC Scholarship list identifies which local/national scholarships you can apply to where US citizenship is not required.  




    DACA Scholarship Search Engines: