#AerosRead = School-Wide Reading Challenge
The Allen Library has a reading challenge for the students of Allen Elementary. The challenge is to read at least 1 book every month that falls under the special reading genre for that month. The goal is to read at least 10 different types of books this year. To make it fun and a little bit challenging, we have incorporated a variety of genres and added a possibility to win a prize after each month of reading.
How it works
- The challenge is for Allen Elementary students
- Families are welcomed and encouraged to participate without the chance of prizes
- Any book, audiobook, or e-book will count in the challenge
- Read at least 1 book for 10 months straight that match’s the monthly genre
- Track your reading by getting and filling out a “AerosRead Challenge Reading Record” sheet. Turn your sheets into your classroom teacher
- At the end of the month, anyone who has entered the challenge will have a chance to win a prize for that month.
- You are allowed to read more than one book per month that matches the genre. You will have to fill out a record sheet for every book that you read and turn the sheet in when you are done.
- The more books you read, the better chances you have to winning a prize.
- Once you have read a book in each of the 10 genres, you will win a “#Aeros Reading Challenge” t-shirt and be apart of the end of the year celebration.
The genres will change every month. The 10 genres are:
Fairy Tale/Folk Tale/Tall Tale
Award Winning or Honor Books
Picture Book/Graphic Novel
A special thanks to the Wichita Eagle’s Suzanne Tobias and the Wichita Public Library for their #ReadICT reading challenge that acted as our inspiration to our school-wide reading challenge! Also a special thanks to Judy Loganbill, former Allen Teachers, for bringing the idea to Allen!