Heroes Read! Blue Devil Reading Challenge Outline and Goals
- Stories are about heroes.
- Reading improves comprehension for EVERY student.
- Through encouraging the reading challenge, we will build a culture of reading at Hadley Middle School.
- This culture celebrates academic gains and reading much like we would celebrate athletic achievements.
- Reading provides our students the reading skills necessary for success in school and life.
⚫ Record books read – include up to five summer books.
⚫ Books are usually at least 100 pages—teachers use their judgement.
⚫ Check the chart to count books as more than one – follow your ELA teacher’s directions.
⚫ Keep your reading log in your binder or where your English Language Arts teacher directs you to keep it.
⚫ Set quarterly reading goals, record them below, and keep the goal in your agenda.
◦ 100 ≤ 200 pages = 1 book
◦ 201 ≤ 400 pages = 2 books
◦ 401 ≤ 600 pages = 3 books
◦ 601 ≤ 800 pages = 4 books, etc.
⚫ The goal is to read One Million Words--it’s easier for many of us to think about it by counting books.
⚫ Select materials that represent the appropriate lexile range for individual reading ability—student’s reading level.
• 5 magazines/daily newspapers front to back = 1 book
• 10 Comic Books front to back = 1 book
• Graphic novels: at least 100 pages
• Ebooks--if pages not numbered, look up online or in a library catalog or count as 1. Lengthy fanfiction can count as 1 book.
• Online Article Reading: Work with ELA teacher or CC teacher to include. Counting these will require diligent recording of what & how much time.
• Record each book (or the equivalent) in your reading log.
• Each time you read five books let your teacher know.
• Everyone who has met their first-semester reading goal in time for the winter book fair will get a book from the book fair!
• Students on target with their reading goals will be recognized at the end of each quarter.
• May 1 deadline for end of the year awards and activities.
Set Reading Goals
• Set Reading Goals
• The average book contains about 40,000 words. If you read 25 books during the year, you will have read 1,000,000 words
• 1st Quarter Goal __________________ 2nd Quarter Goal__________________
• 3rd Quarter Goal __________________ 4th Quarter Goal __________________
Read at least 25 books during the school year to
read one million words (1,000,000)