Middle school is a formative time for students. At Wichita Public Schools, choices and opportunities begin to emerge around academics, athletics, student clubs and career exploration.
- Magnet Schools: We offer three pure magnet middle schools, one neighborhood magnet and two pure magnets for middle school at the K-8 buildings. See the magnet information guide for details on these schools.
- Academics: Students begin choosing electives in middle school. This includes the Project Lead the Way engineering curriculum and the AVID elective at all middle schools.
- Find a list of AVID secondary schools here. Applications are required for the AVID elective class.
- Athletics: All middle schools have the opportunity for students to compete in four championship sports - cross country (girls and boys), volleyball (girls), basketball (girls and boys) and track (girls and boys). Some schools also offer cheer and dance teams that support these athletes.
- Student Clubs: All middle school students have a variety of clubs to choose from during and after school hours. Some of the opportunities include groups like National Academic League, Robotics, Yearbook, Student Council, Garden Club, Leadership (pre-JROTC) and more.
- Fine Arts: Instrumental music instruction, or band and orchestra, becomes an option for students in middle school. Drama classes are offered at six middle schools. Visual arts and vocal music options are also available in these grades. See the Fine Arts website for more information.
Last Modified on January 9, 2020