We want you to be confident in your choice to send your young student to Wichita Public Schools. As the parent or guardian of an incoming student, you will first choose whether to enroll in your neighborhood elementary school or apply for the magnet school lottery. See the Dates and Deadlines section below for more information on timelines.
Our neighborhood schools may not have themes; however, there are programs and opportunities your students may take advantage of at neighborhood schools. To find out about the unique offerings of your child's assigned school or if they offer any of the programs listed below, check their website, call the school, make an appointment to visit the school or attend Kindergarten Round-up on May 7, 2020.
School-wide programs and approaches
- AVID: Advancement Via Individual Determination; at the elementary level, the principles of AVID are embedded across all grade levels. Find a list of AVID elementary schools here.
- Leader in Me: modeled off Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, helps students with goal setting starting in Kindergarten. Schools with this curriculum include Enders, Gammon, Hyde, Kensler and Stanley elementary schools.
Opt-in programs and clubs
- Girls Who Code and Coding clubs
- Boy Scouts of America - Quivera Council
- Girl Scouts of Kansas Heartland
- Girls on the Run
- Battle of the Books
- Dance Troupe
- Running clubs
- S.T.E.A.L.T.H. after school program