Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Program
The Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) is a grant program sponsored by USDA which provides all children in participating schools with a variety of free fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the school day. It is an effective and creative way of introducing fresh fruits and vegetables as healthy snack options.
The Goal of the FFVP Create healthier school environments by providing healthier food choices
- Expand the variety of fruits and vegetables children experience
- Increase children’s fruit and vegetable consumption
- Make a difference in children’s diets to impact their present and future health
School districts must apply annually to participate in this program. Within Wichita Public Schools, Nutrition Services and the Department of Curriculum - Physical Education section, work together to administer this program. For 19-20, the following schools were awarded the grant:
Adams Elementary Allen Elementary Anderson Elementary Beech Elementary Black Elementary Buckner Elementary Caldwell Elementary Cessna Elementary Clark Elementary Cleaveland Elementary College Hill Colvin Elementary Enterprise Elementary Gammon Elementary Gardiner Elementary Gordon Parks Academy Harry Street Elementary Horace Mann Elementary Irving Elementary Jackson Elementary Jefferson Elementary Lawrence Elementary Linwood Elementary L'Ouverture Elementary OK Elementary Ortiz Elementary Park Elementary Pleasant Valley Elementary Spaght Elementary Washington Elementary White Elementary Woodland Elementary
- Any student enrolled at the school and be present when the fresh fruits and vegetables are served.
- Teachers directly responsible for serving fruits/vegetables to their students can partake in the fruits/vegetables.
- Nutrition Services will make accommodations for students with disabilities within the FFVP program with the proper form on file.
- Teachers are encouraged to include a nutrition education component to enhance their positive role modeling.
When and How Often is FFVP?
- A fresh fruit or vegetable will be served twice a week.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables must be served during the school day but cannot be served during breakfast or lunch periods.
Examples of Fruits and Vegetables Served
- Red Pepper Strips
- Sliced Summer Squash