AVID Excel's mission is to change the trajectory of long-term English learners by accelerating language acquisition, developing literacy, and placing AVID Excel students on the path to high school AVID and college preparatory coursework.
AVID Excel is designed to prepare 7th and 8th grade students to enter 9th grade with the language skills that will enable them to succeed in rigorous coursework.
The goal of AVID Excel is to interrupt the path and change the trajectory of long-term English language learners by accelerating language acquisition, developing literacy, and placing AVID Excel Scholars on the path to high school AVID and college preparatory coursework. The mainstay of AVID Excel is the Elective class, which is designed to prepare middle school ELLs to enter AVID in the 9th grade.
There are currently 4 middle schools offering AVID Excel in Wichita:
- Coleman MS
- Jardine MS
- Mead MS
- Pleasant Valley MS
AVID Excel Elective Teacher
The AVID Excel Elective classroom is a:
- dynamic and interactive environment
- place where intermediate-level ELLs have multiple opportunities each day to practice their oral and written language
- environment with high levels of teacher-directed student interaction, participation, and activity
AVID Excel Elective teacher:
- has a strong philosophical belief that long-term ELLs can and will achieve at the highest level if given the opportunity and necessary support.
- needs to be willing to work with their cohort of students to build a sense of family
- begins with the cohort by teaching the 7th grade Summer Bridge (two weeks during the summer), and then continues as their 7th grade AVID Excel Elective teacher.
- should also have a language arts or language development background (ELA/ESL, etc.)
- will need to attend AVID Excel strands at Summer Institute and participate in the AVID Site Team.