The WPS Aspiring Building Leader Program will serve as an entry point for staff who are interested in obtaining a position with Wichita Public Schools as a building assistant principal or principal. The WPS Aspiring Building Leader Program will provide learning that supports a qualified pool of qualified and well trained instructional and relational leaders that stand ready to apply for consideration for any future building leader vacancies. This program will also help ensure a sustainable pipeline for building level leaders at all levels.
Decades-long research has confirmed that effective school leadership is associated with better outcomes for students and schools. A high-quality school leader affects scores of teachers and hundreds of students. The building leader plays a vital role in a systems’ success.
The WPS Aspiring Building Leader Program will provide learning that supports our district mission, vision, goals and Strategic Plan. Program content will utilize the WPS Leadership Competencies, the WPS Principal Profile and the PSEL (Professional Standards for Educational Leaders).
Specific standards include:
- Mission, Vision, and Core Values
- Ethics and Professional Norms
- Equity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
- Community of Care and Support for Students
Criteria for Consideration
WPS staff who are interested in consideration for the WPS Aspiring Building Leader Program must meet the following criteria for consideration as a candidate:
- Candidates for this program would be obtained through an application and screening process
- Candidates would hold a current building license OR the candidate be enrolled in an accredited building leadership program prior to being selected for this program
- Candidates would commit to a semester-long program designed to increase their leadership capacities
Applications are due, including the Assistant Principal Evaluation Summary, two reference forms and answers to essay questions.
In-person interviews take place. Participate in a 90-minute in-person selection activity that includes interview questions as well as two performance tasks/scenarios followed by a 30-minute interview with members of the District Leadership Cabinet.
Candidates are chosen as the following year’s cohort. Communication about those selected to be shared at BOE meeting.
The program launches at the start of the school year.
Current Building Leader Openings
Wichita Public Schools is currently accepting applications for the below building leader positions for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Elementary Assistant Principal | Position Description
- Secondary Assistant Principal | Position Description
- Elementary Principal | Position Description
- Secondary Principal | Position Description