Fraudulent Unemployment Claims

  • In the event you have been the victim of a fraudulent unemployment claim, we want to provide you with some assistance regarding fraudulent unemployment claims in Kansas and 38 other states that are having similar issues.  Once again, if you receive something in the mail that says you have filed an unemployment claim and you have not done so, please email or immediately so we can report it as fraud. 


    The next step you need to take is to notify KDOL that a fraudulent claim was made. The quickest way to notify the KDOL is to go to their website (see below) and report that a fraudulent claim was made. As soon as you do that, it will send you an email with a police case number. 


  • For questions regarding


    Fraudulent unemployment claims 







    Call the Fraud Hotline at

    (785) 291-6059

    If a debit card was received on the fraudulent claim, please return the card with a letter indicating the claim is fraudulent to the Kansas Departmtn of Labor. Please send the information to the following: 


    Fraud Unit

    Kansas Department of Labor

    401 SW Topeka Blvd

    Topeka, KS 66601


    On KDOL's website, they outline the steps you will need to take to protect your identity.



    1. Contact your banks and credit card companies.  Follow their advice as to whether you should close your account.
      • You may also want to setup two-factor identification for online accounts.
      • Request PINs or photo ID requirements for phone and in-person transactions.
    2. Contact the Federal Trade Commission at
    3. Check your Social Security earnings statements online to make sure your reported wages are correct. You can do this with a free, personal my Social Security account at
    4. Register a fraud alert with at least one credit bureau: Equifax, Experian, or Transunion. You can request a credit report and place a lock on your credit. (Which is a free service that Equifax offers).
      • Equifax.....1 (866) 349-5191
      • Experian.....1 (888) 397-3742
      • TransUnion.....1 (800) 680-7289
    5. Notify the Internal Revenue Service’s (IRS) fraud hotline at 1-800-908-4490.  Request a copy of your Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS. You will need to report and dispute any fraudulent earnings listed on the Wage and Income Transcript. You can go to,,id=186436,00.html for additional IRS information. Call 1-877-487-2778, between 8:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m., Eastern time.

    All of this information can be found on KDOL's Website.


    This has been an ongoing issue that arose during the COVID Pandemic. The Kansas Department of Labor is aware that there are fraudulent claims being made and are working with the proper authorities to investigate these issues. You are doing your part in helping them by submitting a report to the KDOL using the website mentioned above. We want to stress that your name and SSN were not obtained from a breach of the USD 259 data system. According to the KDOL this is a wide-spread problem affecting multiple businesses and individuals across a number of states. Please continue to monitor the KDOL website for further information and updates as they become available.

Unemployment Tax Documents

  • In the event you were a victim of the Kansas Department of Labor unemployment fraud issues during 2020, you may have received a 1099-G tax document in the mail from the Kansas Department of Labor (KDOL).


    Below is the information and guidance directly from KDOL on what to do:


    If you received a 1099-G form for a claim that you did not receive payment for due to identity theft, you can fill out a request on the KDOL Self-Service Portal under “1099 Protest/Dispute”, making sure to check the box for “I want to dispute my 1099” and upload an Unsworn Declaration to declare you did not receive the benefits that were stated on your 1099-G form issued from the Kansas Department of Labor.


    You can also send a written dispute with your full name and last 4 digits of your social security number to the Kansas Department of Labor at the following address:


    Fraudulent 1099 Inquiry

    Kansas Department of Labor

    401 SW Topeka Blvd.

    Topeka, KS 66603-3182


    Make sure to include the reason of identity theft in your written dispute and a copy of a completed Unsworn Declaration form.


    Additionally, if you have not done so already, go to to submit a report to our Fraud Investigation team. For more information on reporting fraud, see the Unemployment Fraud FAQ page.


    If you did not receive a 1099-G submit a Request for Disclosure of Tax Benefit Information (K-RM 002) form to the Department of Labor. This form can be located at


    Below is the press release from KDOL regarding unemployment.

If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.