Federal Student Aid

  • What is Federal Student Aid?

    Federal student aid comes from the federal government— specifically, the U.S. Department of Education. It’s money that helps a student pay for higher education expenses (i.e., college, career school, or graduate school expenses). Federal student aid covers such expenses as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. There are three main categories of federal student aid: grants, work-study, and loans.

    Regardless of income, all families should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually because it is required for all federal financial aid and most state and institutional aid. The FAFSA is available for the class of 2024 sometime in December 2023. This year, there will be many changes to the application, but we will have certified FAFSA individuals coming in to assist every month. 

    Ms. Kennedy is available to assist you with your FSA ID and FAFSA application. Additionally, the local financial aid offices at the local colleges will be happy to assist students and their families with FAFSA completion. 


    Who gets Federal Student Aid?

    Some of the most basic eligibility requirements for students are that you must:

    • demonstrate financial need (for most programs—to learn more about financial need, visit StudentAid.gov/how-calculated);

    • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen;

    • have a valid Social Security number;

    • be registered with Selective Service, if you’re a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25), this option is available on the FAFSA application;

    • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible degree or certificate program;

    • be enrolled at least half-time (for most programs);

    • maintain satisfactory academic progress in college, career school, or graduate school; and

    • show you’re qualified to obtain a college or career school education by

    ▪ having a high school diploma or a state-recognized equivalent (for example, the General Educational Development [GED] certificate); or

    ▪ completing a high school education in a home-school setting approved under state law; or

    ▪ enrolling in an eligible career pathways program.



Last Modified on October 12, 2023