The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act requires that all schools provide students in transition with immediate access to an education, even if the child lacks school records, a birth certificate, medical/immunizations documents, or proof of residency. The Wichita Public Schools has a strong commitment to ensure that all homeless children and youth receive a meaningful opportunity to enroll and attend all public schools in the district. The Wichita Public Schools McKinney-Vento Office acts as a resource for homeless families and school personnel facing questions or assistance related to homeless children and youth so they can overcome obstacles and barriers.
McKinney-Vento ServicesThe McKinney-Vento Program provides services for families to help overcome the obstacles and barriers so that their children and youth can be successful in school. If you or you know of anyone who is temporarily living in any of the following situations due to economic hardship, eviction or loss of housing, they may qualify for our services. These families do not have a regular night time residence of their own.
Families are temporarily:
- doubled up living with a friend or relative
- staying in a motel or hotel
- living in an emergency, transitional or domestic violence shelter
- living in a car, public place, abandoned building or campground
Unaccompanied youth without parent or guardian support and who do not have a home may also qualify for the program.Your children have the right to:
- Attend school without any documentation. They must be given access to the same public education provided to other students, including pre-school children.
- Continue in their school of origin before they became homeless or their school of residence. If a school sends your child to a school other than the one you request, contact the McKinney-Vento office for assistance.
- Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment if you qualify for the McKinney-Vento program.
- Receive transportation to school if they qualify for McKinney-Vento. Student must live 2.5 miles away. A transportation request must be made through the McKinney-Vento Office.
- Attend school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
- Receive comparable services provided to other USD 259 students.
903 S. Edgemoor
Door 9 Room 418
Wichita, KS 67218