Preserving Wichita's public education heritage
The Wichita Public Schools, Unified School District 259, is steeped with tradition and a great sense of history, the direct result of the hard work, dedication and advocacy of those who have served through the years. The future of the Wichita Public Schools is bright with innovation and creativity because we continue to build on our past.
One institution stands out as a living exhibit to our history - the historic McCormick School, the official museum and archives of the Wichita Public Schools.
Operated by a dedicated group of retired district staff members, the McCormick Museum offers the community a look into the past with exhibits like an 1890s classroom, a replica of East High School's 1923 science laboratory, historic photographs and district archives. Items on display show how much our district has progressed, but also how the pride in our schools and students remains strong.
As Wichita schools finish their renewal thanks to the community's passing its $ 370 million bond issue, they've been encouraged to donate plaques with dates, yearbooks, class photos and outdated equipment so that they can be enjoyed by alumni and future generations.
Located on the corner of McCormick and Martinson Streets, the McCormick building is a proud landmark of the community it has served since 1890. Click here for a history of the McCormick School building.
McCormick School Museum
855 S. Martinson
Wichita, KS 67213-3855
Sunday, 2 - 5 p.m.
Wednesday, 9 a.m. - 12 noon
By appointment only.
Paul Oberg (316) 841-6198