History of Bostic
An Excerpt from “A History of Wichita Public Schools Buildings”
"The Leicle Bostic Traditional Elementary Magnet School is housed in the former Kistler Elementary School which was originally a part of Common School District No. 184, Kechi. The district came into the Wichita Public School System by attachment in July of 1963.
The site is located on a farm which was formerly owned by Mr. and Mrs. Foster. This farm was a part of the original Osage Trust Lands (1873).
The original school, containing three classrooms and a gymnasium, was completed in 1953, and classes actually started in January of 1954. An addition of two permanent classrooms was completed in 1955. Three portable classrooms were built on the site in 1958, and three permanent classrooms were added to the main building in 1962. Two additional portable classrooms were added in 1963, two in 1966, and a portable restroom in 1969.
Kistler was closed as an attendance center in May of 1984. The building was used for storage until 1988. From 1988 to 1994 the building was used as a Gammon Elementary School annex.
In 1994-95, the building was renamed Leicle Bostic Traditional Magnet Elementary School after a former USD 259 principal, and Gammon students returned to the base school. At present it houses one classroom each (K-5) and has an enrollment of 155 students. The two other classrooms are utilized as a library and computer lab.
"At the April 8, 1996 meeting, the Board of Education approved the closing of the Bostic School building at the end of the 1995-96 school year and the entire program moved to the Stearman site at 8103 East Gilbert, keeping the Bostic name.
In April 2000, the voters of the Wichita School District approved a $284.5 million bond issue. The projects began in the fall of 2000 and were completed over the next five years. The plan built 19 multipurpose rooms, upgraded science labs, replaced portable classrooms with permanent construction, improved handicap accessibility to all buildings, rebuilt five existing elementary schools, added a new elementary and middle school, expanded seven other elementary schools and provided nine new libraries as well as the expansion of nine others. Building infrastructure in 82 buildings was also upgraded, included the replacement of antiquated plumbing, updates and expansion of electrical systems, replacement of inefficient or broken windows and doors, upgrades of heating and cooling systems, and asbestos abatement when required.
The school district hired the firm of Winter Architects, and Caro Construction Co. was utilized to complete the Bond project. The infrastructure at Bostic was upgraded, and the bus load/unloading areas revamped.
Bostic's Bond project was completed for the amount of $865,945 and the school's dedication ceremony was held September 4, 2003."
In 2008, another bond issue was passed. This bond would add on 2 categorical classrooms, an art room, and a computer lab, as well as provide a FEMA/safe room storm shelter for Bostic.