Title VI Native American Indian Education Program
Welcome! The purpose of the Wichita Public Schools Title VI Native American Indian Education Program is to serve Indian students so that they meet or exceed the same challenging state academic achievement standards all students are expected to meet. Our program currently supports over 1,400 Native students who attend USD 259 schools. These students are supported through a variety of academic and cultural activities including tutors who are placed in select elementary schools across the district. The tutors concentrate their efforts on academic assistance, and cultural enrichment.
Students who wish to be enrolled in the program must meet the following criteria:
- Have tribal membership or be a descendant of a biological parent or biological grandparent who:
- Has membership to a tribe, band, or group that is Federally or State recognized (as defined by the Indian tribe or band) as an Indian tribe or band including those Indian tribes or bands or groups terminated since 1940; and those recognized by the state in which they reside; or
- Be an Eskimo, Aleut or other Alaska Native; or
- A member of an organized Indian group that received a grant under the Indian Education Act of 1988, as it was in effect October 19, 1994.
- Must have a Title VI Student 506 Eligibility form on file with USD 259's Native American Program Office. (Found under, "Files & Forms" to the left)
- Student must be enrolled at a Wichita Public School.
Fill out form according to instructions on second page. If no copy of membership or enrollment number is readily available please include an explanation to why it is unavailable and do not leave this section blank. Once the form is completed either email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or print and mail to the Native American Program at 903 S. Edgmoor, Wichita, KS 67218. Membership cards may be scanned and attached to email or may printed and mailed in with form.
If you have any questions while filling out the 506 form please call 973-4467 or 973-4479.