• Linwood Elementary is located in the beautiful Linwood Park area.  Linwood is a Title 1 Elementary School originally built in 1910, but replaced by a new building in 2004.  Students learn through technology rich classrooms that focus on the basics in reading, writing and math.


    Linwood staff is committed to providing a safe, caring environment that fosters learning and academic excellence. Block scheduling and small group instruction are used to meet the individual needs of students. Excellence is expected, diversity is valued and parent and community involvement is encouraged and appreciated.

    Linwood Elementary, 1910  

    Linwood Elementary School, 1910
    courtesy of wichitaphotos.org



    Linwood Elementary School, 1340 Pattie, was built in 1910 after citizens in the area petitioned the Board of Education about the need for a school facility. The Board investigated sites for the construction, and on August 2, 1909, voted to buy 16 lots at the corner of Pattie and Zimmerly at a cost of $3,760. At the request of patrons, the school was first called Sixth Ward Linwood; however, sometime during the years, it was shortened to Linwood.

    The original building contained four classrooms and a basement and was constructed of brick. The interior had wooden floors and stairways. When the school opened in the fall of 1910, it was found the four classrooms were not sufficient, so classes were held both in the basement and in the small office room. In 1911, a two-room annex was moved in, and during the summer of 1912, four permanent classrooms were added to the main building.

    The Linwood Community grew and the increasing enrollment was accommodated by bringing in annex buildings from time to time. In April 1929, a delegation of citizens from the south part of the city presented a petition signed with about 400 names asking for the construction of an addition to the school. The petition was studied and approved, and architects chosen for the building were Schmidt, Boucher and Overend. The addition was completed in 1930 and increased the number of classrooms to 12.

    The successful bond election of 1974 provided funds for site expansion and the construction of a multipurpose room, kitchen, restrooms and storage space. The addition was completed in 1977. In 1981, alterations were made to the library media center, and in 1985, a computer lab and special education lab were added.

    Linwood housed K-6 students through the 1988-89 school year. In 1989, sixth graders were moved to middle school and Linwood was paired with Chisholm School. Chisholm housed grades K-2 and Linwood housed grades 3-5. The initial pairing of the two school communities met with varying degrees of resistance and acceptance. After a year of work, the two school communities were paired and the concept of one school at two sites evolved.

    In April 2000, the voters of the Wichita School District approved a $284.5 million bond issue. The projects began in the fall of 2000 and were completed over the next five years. The plan built 19 multipurpose rooms, upgraded science labs, replaced portable classrooms with permanent construction, improved handicap accessibility to all buildings, rebuilt five existing elementary schools, added a new elementary and middle school, expanded seven other elementary schools and provided nine new libraries as well as the expansion of nine others. Building infrastructure in 82 buildings was also upgraded, including the replacement of antiquated plumbing, updates and expansion of electrical systems, replacement of inefficient or broken windows and doors, upgrades of heating and cooling systems, and asbestos abatement when required.

    The district utilized PBA Architects, P.A. to design a three-section elementary school prototype to be used for Linwood, Allen and Enterprise schools. A vote by the Board of Education approved the acquisition of property in South Linwood Park, and National Contractors, Inc. was contracted for $5,306,000 to build the new Linwood Elementary School. Students entered the doors of the new school for the first time in March 2004 and a bond project celebration was held on April 27, 2004.

    History was made in November 2008, when Wichita voters gave their support to a $370 million bond program that supports smaller classes, safer children and economic vitality and stronger futures. When completed, this bond issue will alleviate overcrowding, reduce class sizes, keep up with growth, add FEMA storm shelters, upgrade technical education facilities, improve fine arts and athletic facilities, and support the end of busing for desegregation.

    Linwood received a new addition to help relieve overcrowding at the school. The 13,500 square foot addition includes eight classrooms, a cafeteria and restrooms. The existing kitchen and service area was renovated and additional parking was added. Breckco Construction was the lowest responsible bidder for Linwood’s addition. The bid for the project is $1,827,800, which is $284,700, or 14%, below the project’s budget. PBA Architects is the architectural firm on the project.  Construction was completed in September 2010, and a bond celebration was held October 28, 2010.


    In 2011, the district redrew boundary lines.  This brought changes across the district as four schools were closed and new schools were opened for the 2012-2013 school year.  The boundary changes did affect many Linwood families.  Some families moved to new schools and we welcomed many of our ESOL students back from Washington Elementary.  


    Today, students are attending Linwood whose parents and grandparents attended the school.  We are proud to have been such a longstanding figure in south Wichita.