If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.

Hyde History

  •  History of A.A. Hyde Elementary

     

    school  

     

    The A.A. Hyde Elementary School was completed in 1929 and opened for classes in early February 1930; with seven of its nine classrooms in use. A late winter blizzard presented many problems to the students including getting to and from school. At the time the area between Oliver and Eastborough was open prairie. 

     

    The School was named for Albert Alexander Hyde, the creator of the Metholatum and well known for his philanthropic work and deep interest of the youth of Wichita. Mr. Hyde was quite interested in the new school and visited it frequently. He was the honored guest at the first open house held on May 2, 1930.

     

    The first addition to the school, consisting of an auditorium and two classrooms was built on the south end of the building in 1938. Continued growth made it necessary to divide the auditorium into two classrooms. A second addition was built in 1948. It included four classrooms, a health room, and a kitchen. The library which had been established in 1938 was moved to the north corridor so the room it occupied could be used as another classroom. The multipurpose room, a joint project between the Hyde community and USD 259, was completed in the spring of 2001. As a result of a successful bond issue campaign in 1999, Hyde received air conditioning, a new library, and a new office space on the first floor. These improvements were completed in the fall of 2001. 

     

    The school changed to a neighborhood magnet and became known as Hyde International Communications Magnet in 1991. Global awareness and communications were integrated throughout the base curriculum. In 2016 the magnet changed again, becoming Hyde Leadership and International Magnet. The focus on international studies stayed the same but leadership skills became a larger part of the curriculum.   

     

    There have been seventeen principals at Hyde since it first opened its doors. They are Gertrude Hatfield, Ruth Crossfield, George Doerksen Jr., Barbara Mackey, Bearl Kindred, Greta Parsons, Michael Redburn, Larry McCrary, Barbara Schoell, Karen Whittle, Holly Howell, Kathy Richter, Russell Miller, Heather Eubank, Laura Thompson, Anne Clemens, and Jamie Cole.

  • A.A. Hyde

     

    A.A. Hyde

     

     

  • flags