Colvin students and staff continuously engage in efforts to increase our achievement and to help our children grow to be college or career ready when they are older. Ensuring all students read on or above grade level is an emphasis at Colvin. Another emphasis that is helping our students grow into leaders and college or career ready young people is our AVID program. AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination, and our AVID strategies, along with strong instructional practices, will help all of our students to be ready for college or a career when their K-12 schooling is complete.
All grade levels participate in rigorous English Language Arts instruction as directed by the Kansas College and Career Ready Standards, which includes phonemic awareness as well as phonics and fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension for the primary grades and decoding, word analysis, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension for the intermediate grades. All grades also participate in a rigorous math curriculum for 60 minutes per day, also directed by the Kansas College and Career Ready Standards. Kindergarten students participate in the Read Well Literacy Program, and the AVID strategies are a critical part of our 4th and 5th graders' days. Additional programs that contribute to Colvin’s success include library, art, music, physical education, pre-kindergarten, and Speakers of Other Languages. Colvin utilizes Total Participation strategies and the CHAMPS Behavior Program to encourage engagement in learning and on-task behavior as well as respect for adults and students. Colvin parents and teachers communicate regularly through conferences, home visits, school activities and through the Family Literacy Program. Parents are important partners in their children’s education.
- Made Adequate Yearly Progress on State Assessments in Reading and Math 2011
- Standard of Excellence in Math 4th and 5th Grade
- State of Kansas Challenge Award winner
- Made Adequate Yearly Progress on State Assessments in Reading and Math 2010
- Made Adequate Yearly Progress on State Assessments in Reading and Math 2009
- Standard of Excellence in Reading - 2005-2008; Standard of Excellence in Math - 2005-2008; Kansas State Department Challenge Award in Reading 2006 & 2007
- Made Adequate Yearly Progress on State Assessments in Reading and Math 2008
- Outstanding reading achievement - pictures of Million Word Readers on library wall
- Completion of bond issue project resulting in a Multipurpose Room that functions as a storm shelter as well as a gym and assembly area in addition to a secured entrance 2012
- Additional parking area added to Pre-K lot Winter 2014
- Dedicated drop-off/pick-up lane starting 2014-2015 school year
- Community school partnership with the City of Wichita (WIC Services, Mini City Hall and Parks and Recreation, ESOL classes for Adults, GED Adult Classes); Business/Community Partnerships with Boeing, Chapel Hill Church, Prudential Dining-Beard Realtors, Payless Shoes, Papa Johns Pizza, Executive Business Women International, and Lions Club.
- Strong Parent Involvement with a focus on attendance and the academics; Family Literacy Program