Unaccompanied Youth 🎒
Unaccompanied Youth is a youth in a homeless situation who is not in physical custody of a parent or guardian also youth who are living on their own without parental or guardian support. They are often "Couch Surfing" going from place to place or may be living in any of the above situations. Unaccompanied youth have the same rights as other students experiencing homelessness to enroll in, attend and succeed in public school.
If you are an unaccompanied youth and wish to continue your education and enroll in school please contact our office. The Wichita Public Schools McKinney-Vento Program ensures that services and rights of the unaccompanied youth are being met.
Examples of assistance that may be provided by our office:
- Help with applying for food assistance and medical insurance
- Providing School supplies and school meals
- Referrals for Clothing resources (primarily during first semester)
- Referrals to various community agencies for issues such as mental health needs, grief, and physical needs
- Guidance in filling out college financial aid applications
High School Seniors
- If you are a high school senior in the McKinney-Vento Program and is on track to graduate contact our office and we will order your cap and gown for you. We need your Height and Weight and what school you will be going to. Email Cynthia Martinez @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check out the "USD 259 Teens in Transition" facebook page and send Cynthia a message so she can add you in the group. This is a closed group for McKinney-Vento Teens only!
- If you need any school supplies, hygiene or other items for school contact our office or your McKinney-Vento contact person.
If you have any questions regarding unaccompanied youth contact Cynthia Martinez, Homeless Education Liaison
Teen Support Worker
Bradley BJ Mills