Listed below is a summary of the process for acceptance and placement of foreign exchange students at Wichita Public Schools.
- Foreign Exchange agency representatives submit the student applications to Debbie McCurry, supervisor of Student Records and Enrollment Services via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). The information required includes names and contact information of host parents, student profile, English proficiency test results, immunizations/health information, and student transcripts.
- The deadline for submission of applications is July 31st.
- Foreign exchange students are not accepted after school has begun for the year.
- Per BOE policy 5508, foreign exchange students must have J-1 visas.
- The students must be at least fifteen years of age prior to August 31 of the school year they wish to attend.
- Host parents are expected live within USD 259 boundaries with the student attending the neighborhood high school as determined by the host parent’s address.
- Host parents are required to enroll their student at the school just like all other new students. The host parents should be prepared to spend some time signing forms and receiving information. Copies of all foreign exchange documentation is to be provided during enrollment in order for school staff to make copies.
- Foreign exchange students must be in attendance on the first day of school.
Click this link to access the BOE policy governing the foreign exchange program. BOE Policies (Search for P5508)