Applying to AVID at Marshall Middle School? Click the link here for the online application!
This Link will allow you to print a draft to complete before you go online to app.
Application and teacher recommendations are DUE by March 13th.
All About AVID
The AVID Mission
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing ALL STUDENTS for college readiness and success in a global society.
AVID works to ensure that all students, and most especially the least served students in the middle, capable of completing a college preparatory path will:
- Succeed in rigorous curriculum,
- Enter mainstream activities of the school,
- Increase their enrollment in four-year colleges.
- Become educated and responsible participants and leaders in democratic society.
AVID @ Marshall
Marshall has 6 sections of AVID, 2 at each grade level.
Site Coordinators: Kelly Frederick & Jared Brown
Site AVID Administrator: Carey Ornelas
AVID Elective Teachers: Pam Braden, Jared Brown, Brooke Dickey, Gaby Gonzalez, Tabitha Marten, and new in 2020 Josh Campbell
AVID Tutors: Selia Avila, Sajani Jiten Bhakta, Azucena Rodarte, Briza Ruiz
AVID = Advancement Via Individual Determination
AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a college readiness system for elementary through higher education that is designed to increase schoolwide learning and performance. The AVID College Readiness System (ACRS) accelerates student learning, uses research based methods of effective instruction, provides meaningful and motivational professional learning, and acts as a catalyst for systemic reform and change.
* The AVID elective is for “middle to upper middle” academic students. These students have the potential for honors and AP work in high school, but need academic and emotional support paired with rigorous coursework.
* AVID combines rigor with support that includes the student's own individual determination and the support teachers, other AVID students and their families, the AVID teacher and university student tutors.
* AVID develops students as readers and writers, teaches specific strategies for critical thinking and higher-level inquiry, provides the support for students to meet high expectations, increases student confidence in their abilities, and enhances time management/organizational skills.
* AVID promotes awareness of college/career options along with the information necessary to fully prepare students for post-secondary endeavors.
What is Required of an AVID student?
AVID elective students are expected to maintain a 2.0 or higher GPA throughout the school year, participate in school sponsored community service projects, show self-motivation to be a hard worker, collaborative in nature, and have a positive attitude.
Each student carries a 3 inch binder in which he or she is required to keep materials from all academic classes. Students keep track of assignments on assignment sheets and are required to take DAILY notes in all academic classes. The notebooks are graded weekly for content and organization by the tutors. Led by the college student tutors, students participate in tutorial groups in the AVID classroom. In addition, students are taught study skills, test preparation, time management, and the writing process. Students will bring a progress report home periodically. If there is any other pertinent information, the AVID teacher will follow up with parent contact.