The guidelines for Benton have been developed to reflect appropriate dress and safety for students. Appropriate dress promotes an atmosphere of appropriate behavior. The guidelines follow School Board Policy P1464.
- Shirts, blouses, and dresses must cover the shoulders, upper chest and must be long enough so as not to show any skin in the waist area. For example, students should not wear halter tops, tank tops with large arm holes, spaghetti straps, tank tops with less than 2 inches of strap, etc.
- Shorts, skirts and dresses must be no shorter than mid-thigh.
- Hats, bandanas, and hoods are not to be worn in the building.
- Clothing promoting any type of gang affiliation, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, wrestling or foul language will not be allowed.
- Sagging pants or pants that drag on the ground are not allowed. Painted hair, distracting hair styles and make-up will not be allowed.
- Platforms, heels and sandals are not permitted in the gym or on the playground. Roller skates including those built into shoes are not permitted.
- Changing shoes between classes is not permissible in grades K-2. Students may change shoes with teacher permission in grades 3-5.
- Students should be properly dressed for the weather, which includes coats, hats, gloves, and appropriate footwear.
- Coats must be removed and placed in the closet upon entering the building. Staff may determine that coats are allowed when the temperature is uncomfortable to the learning environment.
- Administration, teachers and other school staff may determine what constitutes inappropriate or unsafe dress. Any item deemed disruptive to the operation of the school will not be allowed.
If student dress does not follow these guidelines, students will be asked to change. Some clothing may be available to change into at school.