What is Pre-IB?
Robinson Middle School has been the site for the Pre-International Baccalaureate Program since November 1994. The PIB program is a rigorous academic program of study that emphasizes the relationship of the student with the community and the world. It is designed for intrinsically motivated students who prefer a more demanding curriculum including foreign language, in-depth research, and advanced math, science, social studies, and language arts.
- Involvement in a focused educational environment with a global emphasis.
- Commitment to human welfare through community service.
- Emphasis on the development of study skills — learning how to learn.
- Focus on development of effective oral and written communication skills.
- High expectations of students and their academic achievement.
- Availability of extracurricular activities at Robinson Middle School.
- Exposure to humanities and the arts for a well-rounded student.
Students will maintain the required grade point averages: 2.7 for sixth grade, 2.75 for seventh grade, and 3.00 for eighth grade.
Students give back to the community as they develop a deeper appreciation for society and a better understanding of their roles in society. Per year requirements begin at 15 hours in sixth grade and increase to 20 hours in seventh grade, then 25 hours in eighth grade.
Students focus their activities on an annual project that develops research skills and individual expression. Each year, personal project expectations are expanded.
THE SUBJECT AREAS:
All classes cover district-mandated curriculum, while increasing the rigor of the material and emphasizing reading and math applications.
- Foreign Language: Spanish—All students take Introduction to Spanish (6th Grade); Spanish 1A (7th Grade); Spanish 1B (8th Grade). This should prepare the student to be placed in Spanish 2 in high school.
- Language Arts: literature, grammar, vocabulary, the writing process, oral language, and research
- Mathematics: Math 6 Plus; Math 7 Plus; Algebra 1; Geometry
- Sciences: Earth, Space, Physical, and Life Science
- Social Studies: Ancient Civilization (6th Grade); Geography and Kansas History (7th Grade); US History (8th Grade).
- Exploratory Subjects: Art and Design; AVID; Band; Orchestra; Physical Education; Technology; and Vocal Music
After School Program (ASP); Athletics (7th and 8th Grade: Basketball, Cross Country, Track and Field, Volleyball); Battle of the Books; Circle of Friends; Girls’ Choir; Intramurals; Jazz Band; Math Counts; Robinson Academic League; Science Olympiad; Student Council
*Not affiliated with the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme. Please note: Students in the Robinson program who are interested in the East High IB Program will need to apply during their 8th grade year for that program.