Family, Career and Community Leaders of America
FCCLA is a dynamic national student led leadership organization that helps young men and women become leaders and address important personal, family, work, and societal issues through Family and Consumer Sciences Education. Founded in 1945 to promote healthy living and improving the quality of life in the home, it has eveolved to encompass all areas of Family and Consumer Science. This includes nutrition and wellness, balancing work and family, parenting and family issues as well as encouraging students to explore careers in food production and culinary arts, early childhood education, housing and interior decorating, and fashion design and merchandising.
To promote personal growth and leadership development through Family and Consumer Sciences Education. Focusing on the multiple roles of family member, wage earner and community leaders, members develop skills for life through character development, creative and critical thinking, interpersonal communication, practical knowledge and career preparation.
Purposes of FCCLA
- To promote opportunities for personal development and prepartion for adult life.
- To strengthen the function of the family as the basic unit of society.
- To encourage democracy through cooperative action in the home and community.
- To encourage individual and group involvement in helping achieve global cooperation and harmony.
- To promote greater understanding between youth and adults.
- To provide opportunities for making decisions and for assuming responsibilities.
- To prepare for the multiple roles of men and women in today's society.
- To promote Family and Consumer Sciences and related occupation.