South High Class of 2020 & Families,
Thank you for your patience as the Wichita Public Schools and South High has worked through the past few months determining the safest way to celebrate the Class of 2020, the 61st Graduating Class of Wichita South High School.
On Saturday, July 25th, from 3:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m., we will be celebrating our Seniors with a Graduation Drive Thru Ceremony. We have divided the class into two groups to manage time and meet the restrictions of Sedgwick County/city/state in regards to COVID 19.
Information for Parents & Students is as follows:
- The Graduation Ceremony will be broken down alphabetically by last name.
Last names A thru L will be from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Last names M thru Z will be 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- The Graduate Car Line will begin on 35th street near the south gate by Carpenter Stadium.
- We request only one vehicle per graduate. If your family needs an additional car due to a split family please call us to discuss this. (973-5477)
- Cars may begin lining up at 2:45 p.m. in preparation for the Graduation Ceremony. We ask for your patience during the processional, and know that the safety for our graduates and families is our number one priority.
- No observers may congregate in the parking lot – all graduates, parents, and guests must be in a graduate vehicle.
- HAVE FUN! Students are encouraged to decorate their CAR and their CAPS. This is something never done before, but neither is a pandemic. (Remember to keep it school appropriate)
- Graduates should be in the passenger seat or on the passenger side for an easy exit.
- Information will be given to the Graduate in the parking lot by Carpenter Stadium at the start of the processional.
- The vehicle processional will move along the cones until the graduate reaches the stage area. The graduate exits the vehicle to go to the stage. ONE additional family member may exit the vehicle once their graduate reaches the stage and stand behind the cones to take a photograph while the graduate is on stage.
- Graduates will step onto the stage, their name will be read, they will be given a diploma envelope, and Mrs. Ledy will turn their tassel.
- Graduates will walk along the sidewalk to pick up additional information and pose for a formal photo and toss their cap if they so choose.
- Graduates will return to their car and exit onto 34th street.
Thank you again for your patience as we worked to think creatively about how we can best celebrate our class of 2020. We are extremely proud of our seniors, and they deserve nothing but the best we can offer.
Your South High Administration