Gordon Parks Academy K-8 Standardized Dress Policy 2018-2019
Parents and staff at Gordon Parks Academy believe that students should dress in a manner and style that promotes a positive, safe school climate and enhances self-image for students. Additionally we feel that a standardized dress code:
- Promotes an atmosphere of discipline and learning that enhances academic achievement.
- Values students for their character, by providing an equal socio-economic footing for all and eliminates "label competition."
- Fosters a school’s sense of "community" by enhancing self-respect, school pride and students’ self-esteem.
- Lessens distractions in the classroom and upholds modesty standards.
Approved Standardized Dress:
Solid color white, navy, gray, light blue, or royal blue polo style shirts, blouses, sweaters, cardigans, or sweatshirts (does not include hoodies)
- Polo shirts can either be short or long sleeved.
- Gordon Parks Academy logo T-shirts, long sleeved shirts, sweatshirts, and/or hoodies (this is the only approved hoodie)
- If a short or long sleeved undershirt is worn, it must also be an approved school uniform color.
- Shirts must be long enough to be tucked in, and must be tucked in during the school day.
- Logos on uniform colored shirts can be no bigger than quarter sized.
Solid color navy, black, or khaki pant, skirt, jumper, skort, shorts or capris.
- Navy, black, or khaki jumper, dress or skirt (shorts or leggings may be worn underneath but must be an approved school uniform color)
- Navy, black, or khaki skort
- Navy, black, or khaki tailored slacks, shorts, or capri pants.
- Belts should be worn if clothing has belt loops for grades 3-8.
Shoes: House shoes, slippers, flip-flops, and slides are NOT permitted.
Coats: Coats should not be worn inside the classrooms or inside Gordon Parks Academy unless students are transitioning outside.
Clothing should fit correctly: All items should be comfortably sized to fit the students. Oversized and/or baggy clothes are not permitted as well as clothing that may be considered too tight or revealing. Skirts, dresses, jumpers, shorts, or skorts that are shorter than fingertip length when arms extended at sides are not permitted.
Unapproved Standardized Dress
- Denim material is not permitted except for free dress days.
- Sweatpants are not permitted.
- No hats, sweat bands, or bandanas can be worn in the building.
- Sleeveless shirts are not permitted.
- Any item that sends the message of gang affiliation, promotes drugs, alcohol, tobacco, profanity or other inappropriate topics will not be permitted.
- Inappropriate make-up or writing on the body is not permitted.
The dress code regulations are equally enforced for all students and if students choose not to follow the Standardized Dress Code, any of the following actions may result:
- Students will be asked to call a parent to bring their standardized dress to school.
- Parent conference will be held to clarify the Standardized Dress Code.
- Lunch/recess detention or ISS.
** If a parent objects to the dress code policy because of religious, philosophical, or economic circumstances, please contact the office and we will be happy to assist you and inform you of your options in accordance with BOE Policy 1473.