Alexander Hamilton School was built during 1918-1919 and was completed in time for the fall opening of school in September 1919. Named for the first United States Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton Intermediate School was dedicated on January 16, 1920. Governor Henry J. Allen, a resident of Wichita, made the dedicatory address. The first principal, Mrs. Helen Eckstein, was staffed with a faculty of 19 teachers.
Beginning the 1981-1982 school year, Hamilton was renamed Hamilton Traditional Alternative Junior High School and remained as such until 1988 when all junior high schools became middle schools. Some renown Royals are Bob Knight, former Mayor of Wichita and our 2002 candidate for Governor, and Kirstie Alley, a well-known and respected actress.