In 1889, the original school was built on the lot at 16th and Salina and was called “Riverside.” Riverside remained there until 1893, when it was closed and the students were moved to Irving. The Board of Education, in 1907, approved the reestablishment of a school at 16th and Payne. They named the school, between the two rivers, “Woodland.” The school grew quickly, from a single room into a three room building. Enrollment continued to climb, so in 1919 the B.O.E. approved replacement of the wooden building with a two-story brick building. The new building was opened in January of 1921. Woodland has been expanded several times since then, through several bond construction projects.