Mead Middle School
Home of the Mustangs
Mead Middle School will provide a multi-tiered system of supports which is responsive to student need and founded upon evidence based interventions resulting in increased engagement and high academic growth.
Mead Middle School will foster a culture of high academic achievement by equitably supporting our struggling, on target, and advanced learners with rigorous and tailored instruction.
History of Mead Middle School:
Mead School opened in September 1952 with an enrollment of 523. The principal, Paul B. Rider, 24 teachers and 10 support staff members greeted the students. Dedication was held March 15, 1953. Dr. Wade Fowler was superintendent of schools and the featured speaker at the dedication services.
Enrollment rose steadily to 930, and new facilities had to be added to meet the needs. Fourteen rooms and supporting facilities were added in 1954. In 1957, the cafeteria and kitchen were enlarged. By 1969, the enrollment had leveled off to 900 and in subsequent years gradually decreased to around 700.
In 1982 and 1983, alterations were made to the library and office.
In the fall of 1988, all ninth graders were moved to high schools leaving seventh and eighth graders. In the fall of 1989, all junior high schools became middle schools (6-8). Anecdote: Rachel Freeman was a member of the last ninth grade class at Mead and her father Wally Freeman was a member of the first ninth grade class of 1953.
When lockers were replaced in 1991, baggies with notes and artifacts were placed behind the new lockers on second floor.
James R. Mead was one of the leading pioneers of Kansas and of Wichita. While a state senator, he met with Governor Crawford and others to select the site for the City of Wichita. He was greatly interested in the development of Wichita and gave liberally to many worthwhile public enterprises. He donated land for many early day church and school sites in Wichita.
- Excerpts from "A History of Wichita Public School Buildings" compiled in 1978 by Nina Davis, updated in 1996 by Sara Lomax. Copyright 1997 - USD259.