Payne Elementary will switch to remote learning November 30 - December 4
Good evening, Payne parents,
Recently you received a letter that let you know our district was planning for potential school closure if COVID-19 impacted our ability to educate your student in the school building. At the time, we advised parents to be prepared with a childcare plan in the event we must shift to 100% remote learning.
I’m writing today to let you know that effective Monday, Nov. 30, 2020, Payne Elementary will close temporarily for onsite learning as a result of complications from the public health crisis caused by COVID-19. Our timeline is as follows:
- We will shift to a 100% remote learning model beginning Monday November 30th through Friday, December 4.
- Due to our Board of Education extending our Fall Recess, students will not have school from November 23rd – 27th.
- Our intent, if we can reduce the quantity of individuals from Payne that are currently positive for COVID, while also reducing our quantity of quarantined staff, will be to resume onsite class (for those currently taking onsite courses) on December 7th.
During this one-week closure, your student will be unable to access any onsite educational opportunities offered by the district, and all instruction will be 100% remote learning via your student’s laptop or tablet. This means that all families should make arrangements for care of their child during the school day through at least December 4th because we will have no students in our building. I do want to emphasize that learning will continue, and additional information is provided below.
This decision hasn’t been made lightly, as our district leaders understand the stress such a change can pose to you, your student, and your family. However, COVID-19 has significantly impacted our employees, in particular the significant number of our staff impacted by close-contact quarantine requirements. We will make every effort to minimize the impact this interruption in onsite learning has on your student’s educational progress. Please know that we will be working to determine the best way to support your student upon the return to onsite instruction. This decision will not affect current MySchool Remote students.
- Learning Materials and Technology – If your student is currently learning onsite, they will be provided with a laptop or tablet to take home at the end of the day on Friday. All learning will take place remotely via this device. Your student’s teacher will be in touch with you to provide additional details. If your student is not present on Friday and you need a device, please call 316-973-7850 and we will work with you to find a solution.
- Computer and Tablet - All students will have a device assigned to them for the rest of the school year. If you have not filled out the parent Device Checkout Form, and the Optional Insurance Form, along with payment information based on Lunch Status, please contact the school office at 973-7850. All forms must be completed before a student is able to take a device home. https://bit.ly/Tech_Sign_Off
- Technology Support - In person technology support is available at Alvin Morris Administrative Center, 903 S Edgemoor, daily from 7:45-4:45, as well as phone assistance at 973-HELP.
- Attendance and Expectations – Learning will continue through the duration of this closure, with the exception of the extended fall break next week (Nov. 23-27) during which all schools and offices will be closed. We expect students to engage in learning each school day. You will receive additional details about remote learning from your child’s teacher and/or IEP manager by the end of the school day Friday, November 20. Should you fail to receive communication on this matter, please call 316-973-7850 and we will assist you.
- Food Distribution – You will continue to receive meals based on the district’s remote nutrition plan.
- Breakfast and Lunch for Monday through Wednesday (November 30-December 2nd) for current on-site students will be made available for pickup from your child’s school on Monday, Nov 30th from 10am to 1pm inside the main entrance. Students do not need to be present.
- In addition, for this week only, current on-site student will be eligible to receive Curbside Meals at one of our 12 pickup locations. The next Curbside Meal service date is 12/2/20 and a signup is located here: usd259.org/remotefood Sign up ends on 11/30/0 at 3:30pm.
- Current remote students will continue to be eligible for to receive Curbside Meals at one of our 12 pickup locations. The next Curbside Meal service date is 12/2/20 and a signup is located here: usd259.org/remotefood Sign up ends on 11/30/0 at 3:30pm.
Please check your email and our school web site regularly for additional information about the return of students to our school building. You can also call our school at 973-7850 if you need additional support.
Help us get our kids back to school! Our ability to get our students back to school onsite is directly impacted by the health of our community and the impact of COVID-19 on our staff and students. It’s especially important that you are mindful of safety during the Thanksgiving holiday. Please take a moment to review the Center for Disease Control’s Thanksgiving safety page by clicking on this link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays/thanksgiving.html.
When we return to in person learning at the building, please keep your child home if they are sick, have been in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, or if your child has tested positive for COVID-19. Please wear a mask at all times, wash your hands, practice social distancing, and encourage your friends and neighbors to do the same.