AVID Student Application is OPEN 2
AVID Elective Application
AVID is offered as an elective course that, like any other class, meets regularly. Each week, students receive two hours of instruction, two hours in tutor-led study groups, and one hour in motivational activities and academic survival skills, including critical reading and writing skills. In addition, AVID students are encouraged to take prep courses (in middle school) and move onto honors/advanced placement courses.
Who Should Apply?
AVID Elective Student Profile
The AVID student is a student with academic potential:
- Average-to-high test scores
- 2.0-3.5 GPA
- College potential with support
- Desire and determination
The AVID student meets one or more of the following criteria:
- First in family to attend college
- Historically, underserved in 4-year colleges (e.g., underrepresented as a racial or ethnic group)
- Special circumstances (e.g.,family structure)
How to Apply?
First, reach out to your student's current school for specific information! Wichita Public Schools middle and high schools strategically set time aside during the school day to support students through the application process. Talking with the school will help answer questions you may have about the AVID Elective.
- Each student should submit only one application.
- Students currently attending school outside of WPS can apply.
If your child attends school outside of Wichita Public Schools, and you plan to attend WPS next year, please use the external application link provided here - https://bit.ly/WPSAVIDElectiveAppExternal