Special Assignments and Non-Resident Enrollment
Students that wish to attend a neighborhood school other than their address assigned must complete and be approved for a special assignment. The special assignment process should always begin with the address assigned neighborhood school and then be forwarded to the requested school. Special assignment request forms should be available at all neighborhood schools. Be aware of the fact that approval for special assignments is not guaranteed. The approval is dependent on the recommendation of both the address assigned (sending - base school) and the requested schools' administrators. In order to recommend approval or denial for a special assignment, school administrators will look at a variety of factors that, among others, include school/grade level capacity, ESOL availability, and Special Education services.
Special Assignments are considered a privilege and certain conditions must be met in order for the assignment to not only be approved, but also continue throughout the school year. Transfers are contingent on the following:
- Students approved for special assignments must provide their own transportation.
- The student must have good attendance, behavior, and academic performance (grades).
- Classroom space availability.
- All personal information must be kept accurate and up to date with the school office.
- A special assignment is only valid for the current year and must be updated and approved every school year.
- Parents must be responsive and supportive of their student’s teachers and school.
- Administrative Decision.
Grades 7th through 12th Only: Athletic/activity may be forfeited with a special assignment request. Please direct all questions to the Sending Principal and/or Athletic Director prior to finalizing the request.
Students that wish to enroll in our schools, but reside outside of USD 259 boundaries may request a special assignment to enroll as a non-resident student. The special assignment request forms for these students only need to be approved by the USD 259 school requested. To receive and fill out a special assignment request form please contact your address assigned neighborhood school. Please note that special assignments are not used to gain acceptance into our magnet schools.